Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Opening Line By A Friend #2: Alex Tomaso

In the forest; that was where I found her. She was holding three feet of orange cable and an open box of Polaroids. I was holding a butterscotch cupcake and the soundtrack for the movie From Justin to Kelly. This much was clear: the looting had begun. This much seemed true: neither of us was doing very well for ourselves so far.

“So it’s the apocalypse, am I right?” I asked.

“Yes, I would say so,” she replied. “At least, you know, if the news reports aren’t just screwing with us.” She noticed at my somewhat meager bounty. “Where are you coming from?”

“Houlden’s Mall. They have this bakery right next to an electronics store. I kind of just left without paying for the cupcake after the casher told me my life decisions were pointless and started to smash the pastry display with a hockey stick.” I paused. “I took the CD because it was the only thing in the electronics store I thought nobody would miss.” She didn’t seem to be judging me but I also didn’t think myself the best guy to read other people’s reactions today.

“I broke into someone’s house,” she said. “Like legit, just broke in and took the first two things I could find. I feel like kind of an ass actually.”

“Me too,” I said. I really did. I was kind of under the impression looting would be a guilt free activity as the end of the world approached.

We split the cupcake and spent the next few hours looking at the Polaroids.

Also there was a doctor. She happened to be walking by and we let her take everything else.

4 comments:

  1. I don't actually know what's causing the apocalypse here.
    I've narrowed it down to meteor, black hole or bears with clown make-up.

    Also,
    Day 2! And I indeed thank Alex Tomaso for her contribution. I hope she and whoever else reads this enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH OOH OOH can i write an opening line?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I would be honored for you to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did enjoy it! I was not expecting what you wrote. I am impressed
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete